Thursday, January 28, 2016

Creation of the Republican Party

There has been so much debate and anger throughout politics that I don't even know what to believe anymore. The Whig president, Millard Filmore, has been upsetting the south because he supported California becoming a free state. My husband has decided to leave this party along with many other northerners after we found out about his support for the Fugitive Slave Act and Popular Sovereignty. My husband and I are strongly against the Fugitive Slave Act and I have heard awful things about Popular Sovereignty. The presidents hand been using it as an excuse not to pick if they are pro slavery or antislavery so they can gain more votes. In 1852, the presidential election was chaos, the Whig party could no longer find a candidate. Henry Clay has died along with Daniel Webster, my husband said he would have voted for either of these men because he felt as though they actually knew how to run the country. The Whig party ended up with a military hero, Winfield Scott, as their candidate. Democrats on the other hand believed they would preserve the nation and they endorsed the 1850 Compromise, gaining them more votes. This country is greatly changing and new ideas about slavery are constantly coming about. My husband told me that he is currently worried about religion, I have told him he worries too much but he has told me all about immigrants. He has told me that we were Protestants because it was the dominate religion in America and he wanted our family to conform best to the changing ways of society by being like everyone else. He has informed me that Catholicism has become the largest religious group in the nation due to Americans from Irish and German backgrounds and Spanish-speaking natives who I presume settled in America after the Mexican-American War. As usual this issue has spiraled into a huge problem and a new group called the "Know-Nothings" have appeared but they apparently won't admit to being a group. In 1855, the "Know-Nothings" abandoned its secrecy and this group tried to become a political party; however, the party was further divided due to slavery seen in the western territories. With all the political parties breaking up a new one has come to rise called the Republican Party. I am in favor of this party because it was created by an antislavery zeal. The party has started growing rapidly throughout the north and in 1856 it was as strong as the older parties. I finally can completely agree with a party because it is completely antislavery, maybe we will actually be able to workout actual problems in this election. 
"Brief History of the GOP." BCRO. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016.
"History of the Republican Party Timeline." Timetoast. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016.

1 comment: