Monday, January 25, 2016

Underground Railroad and Harriet Tubman

I am so very proud today of my husband, the nation and myself. I just had my child, it's a girl and I have named her Harriet and I shall explain why.
An abolitionist movement has begun, it has made me proud to live in the north and my husband and I have officially become northern abolitionists. We are not the only ones who have decided to become abolitionists, much of the north is trying to help slaves and my husband is one of these people. I am so proud of him, he has found an organization called the underground railroad. It's purpose is to help free slaves and it is conducted by northern abolitionists and free slaves. My husband has explained to me the process, it is not an actual railroad service but railroad terminology is used to describe the actions of the organization. I have heard that "conductors" will hide slaves in farm wagons or boats and then they are moved to the north. In order for everything to work complicated hand signals are used and this helps move the slaves through the Underground Railroad. This organization is able to carry slaves over hundreds of miles of dangerous terrain. My husband has even taught me some of the hand signals used, I am so proud of his brave sacrifice and I feel as though he is helping make an improvement in our nation if only our kids could understand what a hero he is. He has met so many great people, he told me of one lady from Maryland who escaped in 1849 named Harriet Tubman. This is who I have decided to name my child after, she has become such an influence to so many people and my husband has said that she is the most courageous person he has ever met. Harriet Tubman. has made about two dozen trips into the south rescuing hundreds of slaves, she has even rescued her parents. I only hope my daughter, Harriet, can make an improvement to the world like Harriet Tubman but you can never know with how much the United States is changing. The north is finally taking a step up and showing the south and slavery that we have a say in what we believe.
"America the Story of Us: Harriet Tubman | History." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 22 Feb. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment